Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Bullfight Rejoneadore






When I lived in Spain, I was fortunate enough to be taken to a bull fight by an affectionado who explained in enough detail what was going on. I know Hemingway had written enough about the subject but he was an American and (I have found) that Americans often see things from a different point of view. Well, I am not going to help you make up your mind here but before you decide, at least listen to both sides. Perhaps when you see the whole event as a pagent it is easier to understand the event. (My american friend seemed unpopular when in his own words he rooted for the bull!) It is not meant to be a fair fight. If the crowd feel that the bull is too small or the horns are too short, then they let their feelings be known and the presidente of the corrida will signal and a herd of cows are brought in. This calms the bull and he is eventually led away in some disgrace (not that he cares). You can imagine what happens to him then but he is certainly not allowed to enjoy himself with the cows.

It can be really exciting when the whole fight is performed while riding a horse. The rejoneadore has a selection of horses at his disposal and he uses them expertly to entice the bull to charge. I did witness an event when the horse froze (well who would blame him) and the bull dutifully tossed him (and his rider)on their respective rear ends. The adrenaline surge of this event was the biggest I have ever experienced. If you are interested, see the following site.
http://www.flamencoshop.com/bullfight/picador.htm

No comments: