Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sweep : The Dog


I confess that I named my daughter's dog after a puppet that was once popular in the U.K. The main puppet was called Sooty ( a tiny bear) and run by Harry Corbett. The other puppet was called Sweep.

This Sweep was infatuated with his mistress and followed her faithfully everywhere. [See my first blog about 3 pages down on this site.... CLICK ON older posts at the bottom of the pages] Yes ...even to bed at night. When she went out in the morning he would sleep on the top of a chair so that he could see when she returned. He was distraught when for six months she went to Melbourne on a uni course. I only wished I had taped his antics shen she returned. Certainly, no human could have given her that type of welcome.

He now eyes suitcases with a great deal of suspicion so when she left home last week for a new abode, he was not entirely surprised. He moped around for a few days so I thought I would give him a quick visit and sleep-over. Now, I did warn him that if he wished to stay, he would have to behave as he does at home. Barking was out. So was pissing on their new carpet and poohing was definitely a NO NO.

Now, I was not sure how many brain cells he had and remembering that he was really besotted with his mistress, I was somewhat confused to find him back with us ( my wife and I) the next morning. He simply did not like the place where there was little food, less water, no grass on which to relieve himself and no dog flap to get out there when he wanted.

So he simply took my advise and barked all night, peed on the carpet and Poohed in two of the bed rooms to be sure to be sure. Well done Sweep.

1 comment:

Ken and Joanne said...

Hi Double,

We just had to put our dog, Lucky, down. I don't think we'll get another. Meanwhile, it's becoming obvious what he did around here. He barked every time a stranger came to the door -- and then sat on our feet so we could protect him. And he was great at licking up crumbs off the floor. Now we have to be careful when we eat. That dog did more housework around here than we did. We'll miss him.\

Ken