Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Driving Instructor

I always remember Bob Newhart's comedy sketch on the "Driving Instructor". Worth listening to even after 20 years! My middle daughter was in Melbourne for a few years and only learnt to drive recently. With the aid of her Dad ( me ) and a driving instructor, she passed first time. Luckily in Western Australia, you continue with L plates fpr another 25 Hours! On Sunday she woke me up with " Let's go driving Dad!" I named a place New Noucia and she duly found it on the internet complete with instructions on the shortest route. Well what a route it was! 20 k's of dirt road and it took us 70 mins longer that the instructions stated. I expected a town but there was only a monastry ( we missed it) a petrol station (which lacked electricity and therefore could not issue petrol) and a pub ( which was expensive and empty except for two police officers). I explained my dilema to the officers ( "no fuel and gas station not in operation") " Yeah we know that. Tough isn't it! But don't worry use your reserve tank and head home and there is a station 50 k's in that direction! If you run out, we are going that way in a few hours and we might see you there!" Of course they knew we had no reserve tank and we DID RUN out! 10 k's short. But with my usual Irish luck, I found a homestead ( not many out there!) willing to provide me with some free fuel! Many thanks Mate. My daughter is now writing to thank him.

2nd verse of song!
"Well now Maggie Thatcher I don't know what you're after the facts I just hope you can see
The marchers peace walking and many are talking and singers are singing like me "

Gorby is verse three!

No comments: