Friday, December 5, 2008

News or no News? That is the question.

As far as I can recall, my parents never worried much about listening to the news. I did say listening but we actually had a television in 1953! I do not want to be facetious but I have to wonder if we are not better off not watching the latest news or reading about it either. I had the chance when I was younger to live in Spain for a few years. When I arrived there I did not know one word of Spanish and therefore was completely unaware of worldly events. I must confess I was quite happy with the situation. I had my own little problems to solve. Yeah, yeah, I know it is very educational but the way journalism is presented in the modern world is quite often just sensationalism at its worst. I lived in Belfast for a few years during the times when things were not at the best. (I refuse to use the word "troubles" as I believe it is most misleading). I drove home from work one day and was astounded to learn ( from the news!) that a bomb had gone off earlier in that same street. Of course this event was displayed around the world as a major catastraphe and it certainly WAS for a few people but a few hours later it was all cleaned up and everything was back to near normal. So, just for a change, take a week away from the news and see how you feel.

No comments: